Can Artificial Intelligence Replace Human Wisdom?.....

 

Can Artificial Intelligence Replace Human Wisdom?...

It is often said that a loving heart holds the truest wisdom. But can Artificial Intelligence ever truly understand what a loving heart feels? Can technology replace human wisdom, emotions, empathy and the willingness to help someone in need? I recently experienced something that made me think deeply about this question. I had travelled out of town for a conference, and on my boarding pass it clearly mentioned Terminal 3 for departure at Delhi Airport and Terminal 2 for landing in Mumbai. Somehow, either because of my hurry or my own carelessness, I did not notice this important detail. When I was about to enter through Digi Yatra, I suddenly realised that I was at the wrong terminal. I had only about an hour left. I panicked and wondered, “What do I do now?”



Just then, a taxi driver came towards me and noticed that I was anxious. He asked if he could help me. I said yes, but I needed to reach Terminal 3 very quickly. He took my luggage, helped me get into his taxi and somehow managed to get me there in just a few minutes. I did not have change, and he simply said, “It’s okay, take my UPI number and send it later.” When I reached the airport, the check-in counter initially refused to accept my luggage. Seeing my anxiety and my expressions of fear that I might miss my flight, the staff member finally understood my situation and helped me. After security, I still had to reach my gate quickly, and the airport cart service helped me get there. Somehow, with the help of these people, I made it to my flight.


Why am I sharing this small incident? Technology was able to detect that I was at the wrong terminal, but it was human support, positivity and empathy that actually helped me reach my destination. In moments of panic, information alone may not be enough. We need people who can understand our emotions and take the right action at the right time. The taxi driver saw my panic and urgency. The check-in staff understood my anxiety and priority. The cart person saw how quickly I needed to reach my gate and was willing to help. None of them simply followed a programmed response. They looked at the human being in front of them and responded with understanding. That, to me, is the real difference between technology and human wisdom.


We sometimes forget how much our lives depend on this human connection. A mother's warmth gives us security when we are born. A father's support gives us courage when we fall. Our siblings stand beside us when we need strength. A spouse gives companionship, love and support as we build a family. Our children bring another kind of love and purpose into our lives. Friends stand by us when we are in need. Our employees contribute to the growth of our organisations, while our communities and our country give us a sense of belonging and existence. Artificial Intelligence can provide information, suggestions and solutions, but can it truly replace the warmth of these relationships? Can it understand the love, responsibility, sacrifice and emotions behind them?

I was attending a conference where there were many discussions about medical technology, artificial intelligence, assessments and new developments. There was also a discussion about retraining the brain after hearing loss in adults, including people who receive cochlear implants or hearing aids. Technology is bringing remarkable changes to hearing healthcare. Digital hearing aids, cochlear implants, advanced assessments and technology-assisted rehabilitation can support diagnosis, treatment and therapy in ways that were difficult to imagine earlier. Yet, after listening to all these discussions, I felt there was one important point we must never forget: however advanced the technology becomes, positive mindfulness, encouragement and understanding from the client, therapist, teacher or guide remain extremely important. Technology can support rehabilitation, but the human being behind that technology makes a difference.


There is also growing understanding of how the brain learns, adapts and creates new connections. What we practise repeatedly becomes familiar to our brain, and memories of rhythm, movement, speech, music and daily activities can become deeply established through learning and experience. Think about learning to drive, dancing, playing a sport, exercising or remembering a prayer or spiritual shloka that we learnt years ago. Sometimes, even after many years, our body and brain remember what we have practised. This ability of the brain to adapt and relearn is especially meaningful in rehabilitation. When a person experiences conditions such as paralysis or hearing loss, medical technology can provide valuable support, while training, practice, motivation and the individual's own positive energy can help the rehabilitation process move forward.


I have learnt this repeatedly through my work with children and adults with hearing impairment. A hearing aid or cochlear implant may give a person access to sound, but the journey from hearing a sound to understanding it, responding to it and using it meaningfully involves much more. It needs patience, regular practice, guidance, encouragement and a positive attitude. Lord Krishna's beautiful music on the flute is another reminder of the power of rhythm and melody. His flute is described a enchanting people and taking them away from their worries for a while. In a similar way, rhythm, music, prayer, movement and positive human interaction can touch us at a level that goes beyond information. Technology may open the door, but the human spirit often gives us the strength to walk through it.


Perhaps the real question is not whether Artificial Intelligence will replace human wisdom, but whether we will remember to use technology without losing our humanity. AI can calculate, analyse, remind, assess and assist us, and its role in healthcare and everyday life will continue to grow. But compassion cannot be reduced to a command, and kindness cannot be programmed in the same way as a machine follows instructions. The taxi driver who noticed my panic, the airport staff who understood my urgency and the person who helped me reach my gate reminded me that human beings still have something extraordinary, the ability to see another person's need and respond with heart. Technology can make our lives easier, but human wisdom, empathy and love are what make life meaningful.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

|| Real Religion Transforms Anxiety Into Laughter ||

The Magic of Being Present...

Why Do We Feel More Connected Online Yet More Lonely Than Ever?....